Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Time with God

"I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love... that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
--Ephesians 3:18-19

Into the busy-ness of this hectic season your word invites me to stillness - to sit and consider, to grasp and perceive the impossble dimensions of your love. To dive into it... to bask in it... to be filled with the fullness of God. I can't do that without lavishing you with a certain amount of my TIME, Lord. And as Christmas encroaches (yes, it honestly feels that way!), time is a commodity in short supply for me. That is no excuse. In fact, it should be the reason I NEED to spend time with you.
"Pilate asked Jesus, 'So you are a king?' Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king. For this I was born, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.'"
--John 18:37

You WANT me to spend time with you. You want ME to spend time with you - to listen to you. During this busy season of Advent I hope the truth sinks into my busy mind: that you spent (and spend) time with me. Isn't that what this season celebrates after all? You left heaven to spend time with humanity - to teach us the heart of your Father... to suffer and die to win us back... to rise that heaven would be ensured us. You've certainly got my attention. I'm listening.

2 comments: