Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Month of Simplicity

"Half the joy of life is in little things taken on the run. Let us run if we must... but let us keep our hearts young and our eyes open that nothing worth our while shall escape us. And everything is worth its while if we only grasp it and its significance."
--Victor Cherbuliez

As I've been looking at my own schedule and list of things to do for this busy time of year... I feel I'm already failing on the "simplicity" challenge. I've decided to look at each engagement and obligation and decide - 1) do I WANT to do this? 2) do I NEED to do this? 3) how does this particular activity nurture my soul?

Most of my plans are already about family, friends, and fun homemade gifts! So now what?! How do you simplify further when you've already weeded out the things that don't need to be done and don't inspire or uplift your spirit?

When I'm overwhelmed and over-busy, I lose steam, lose joy, and lose appreciation for all that surrounds me - which is why I liked the quote above. "...Everything is worth its while if we can only grasp it..."

What have you noticed today that has made you stop, smile, and appreciate the season? Maybe part of simplifying is simply being aware of what is around us... even when we're off to something else!

So far today, I've noticed:
*one of my favorite ornaments on the tree lit up from the sun this morning
*a Jimmy Buffet Christmas song on the radio (that made me laugh)
*my little "Pause" gift on my desk that encouraged me to close my eyes and take a breath
*someone taking the time to drop off more presents for our Neighbor's collection
*some of my blogging friends doing tours of their Christmas decorations - and they all had Nativity Scenes!

No comments:

Post a Comment