Friday, February 19, 2010

A Prayer for Self-Control

"God, I don't always live the way I should.
I tell the world about being honest and true and pure.
Then sometimes they look at me and run.
When I said I'd be your servant, I thought it would be easier.
I thought you'd take away all my problems and temptations.
I thought I could be the kind of person I tell others they should be.
It doesn't always work that way, God.
I see others having a wonderful time, and I miss being part of that.
I see something shiny off to the side of the path
and I go wandering after it without a thought.

(Think of some temptations in your life, things that distract your mind from God's will for you.)

Keep my head right, God.
Keep my eyes focused on Jesus.
Keep my feet on the path.
Keep my heart desiring what is good.
Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.
Help me know the difference.
And when I already know the difference
help me to make the right choice anyway.
Amen."
--The Book of Uncommon Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment