Monday, February 1, 2010

A Month of Prayer

A month of Prayer begins today.  But not only that...  A month of "We CAN Pray!"

"Prayer, according to Brother David, is waking up to the presence of God no matter where I am or what I am doing.  When I am fully alert to whatever or whoever is right in front of me; when I am electrically aware of the tremendous gift of being alive; when I am able to give myself wholly to the moment I am in, then I am in prayer.  Prayer is happening, and it is not necessarily something that I am doing.  God is happening, and I am lucky enough to know that I am in the Midst."
--Barbara Brown Taylor, "An Altar in the World"

As we’re journeying forward to a life of Passionate Spirituality, we’re making a new stop every month, taking the time to explore a new Spiritual Habit. We started with Generosity and Thankfulness—how thanking God for blessings in our life helps us to realize how much we have to GIVE and serve those around us, thus doing God’s work in our world. In December, we took time out of our busy schedules to recognize the habit of Simplicity. We took notice of how we use our time, money, and energy—not just to satisfy the consumerism of the holidays, but to notice God, Jesus, family, tradition, and all the ways we connect to our faith without the peer pressure of our society.  And in January, we remembered why it is we Worship - and how, and with whom.

And so, this month we move into the habit of Prayer.
"Real prayer is life creating and life changing." 
"We are to change the world by prayer." 
And "prayer unites the soul to God."

What will you pray for today?

2 comments:

  1. Kristin and her daughter, Sarah, who is gravely ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfulness for my husband's new job. Favor with his new co-workers. Provision for us til his first pay check (although, God continues to blow my mind with this one the last 3 months!).

    But mostly, my prayer is DIRECTION: where do You want us Lord? What do You want us doing? I think I know....and then He's silent again. I get a glimpse....and then nothing. We want only His perfect will, and that's my prayer. Fostering children? Starting our own Children's Home? Overseas missions? It's one of those.....it's some of those...maybe it's none. So that's my prayer lately.

    ReplyDelete