Monday, November 9, 2009

Sermon Notes - Nov. 8th, 2009

"'Seize the day!' might sound like an unusual invitation to extravagant generosity.

"In Luke 9:55-62, Jesus teaches his followers to pay attention to the importance of living today. 'Seize the day!' rings true as an invitation to make a move NOW on a life lived fully and well.

"A Jewish writer interpreting scripture sums up the invitation to life: "If not now, when?" It's easy to pile up reasons why now isn't the best time to give, to be generous, to be open handed or open hearted. But if I'm to make the most of every day I live, I want to make a move on generous living in this moment. I want to act today in ways that share what I've been given. I want to do today things that are grace-giving. I want to be a blessing in this hour. I don't want to wait to feel that I have extra before I give; I don't want to wait till I'm organized , till I have time, till I know how, till I grow up, retire, get my driver's license, learn to make bread, or any of the hundred things in my way. I want to be a giver now.

"This day seized -- by me. You too?"
--Pastor Penny Zettler

No comments:

Post a Comment