Friday, May 28, 2010

Examen

Another way of seeking guidance from God is through the practice of Examen.  Our guest speaker last weekend, Lois, gave us a nice introduction to this practice.  Here are some notes to help you try this on your own!

"Throughout centuries prayerful people have found direction in their lives through the practice of examen...

"...The examen can open us up to both the difficult and beautiful in our lives, relationships and profession.  The examen is also a useful way of reflecting alone or with others on what God is saying to us through a meeting, a class, a meal, a service project, a relationship or a conflict.

"Examen questions include

*  For what moment today am I most grateful?  For what moment today am I least grateful?

*  When did I give and receive the most love today?  When did I give and receive the least love today?

*  What was the most life-giving part of my day?  What was the most life-thwarting part of my day?

*  When today did I have the deepest sense of connection with God, others and myself?  When today did I have the least sense of connection?

*  Where was I aware of living out the fruit of the Spirit?  Where was there an absence of the fruit of the Spirit?

"The examen is a wonderful tool for discerning the places you feel most alive, most grateful, most present to the fruit of the Spirit as well as the times and places where you do not...

"Perspective and direction for the future happen through listening to where and how God shows up in your day and then interacting with God in prayer.  Awareness of the Spirit's enlivening and enlightening presence puts you in touch with the kind of person God created you to be.  When you begin to recognize who God created you to be, you have the raw material for discerning God's unique call and design for your life."
--Adele Calhoun, "Spiritual Disciplines Handbook"

No comments:

Post a Comment